Ep 21: Tia Meyers of Freelancing Females on how to sustain self-employment
This episode is brought to you by damolade, your partners in taking a holistic approach to digital marketing. And by Lodged Out, creative and outdoorsy gathering series for getting away from screens. Find a free website audit from damolade and discount to the next Lodged Out retreat below!
Tia Meyers is a freelance marketing consultant working mostly with hospitality and restaurant brands. She’s also the founder of Freelancing Females, a community redefining the 9-to-5. Freelancing Females started a year ago as a Facebook Group and now has almost 11,000 highly engaged members around the globe and is growing by 1,000 members/month. And Tia has big plans for it.
In this episode, Tia and I talk about the challenges and highlights of freelancing, what it cost to be self-employed, how to build a pipeline of business, the importance of pay transparency, and more.
In this episode, we discuss:
- When it makes sense to go freelance
- How non-payment issues are common for freelancers and how Tia overcame that problem
- Health insurance and healthcare as a freelancer
- Sustaining a career as a freelancer and managing an inconsistent income flow
- The importance of having a savings account and cushion as a freelancer
- How Tia finds new clients and builds a consistent pipeline of work
- Why being you is your best marketing tactic
- Working with small budgets as a freelancer
- Combining high-paying clients with passion clients
- How your social media channels are the new portfolio no matter what your work is
- The importance of a clear bio
- How’s she plans to sustain Freelancing Females
- How side projects can be business development tools
- How Tia balances work and life through delegation
- The importance of being vocal about our pay rates
- The cost of being a freelancer
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Tia’s website
- Tia on Instagram
- Freelancing Females Facebook Group
- Freelancing Females on Instagram
- Podcast: Online Marketing Made Easy
- Podcast: Skimmed from the Couch
- Podcast: Lady Talk by Ladies Get Paid
- Podcast: Goal Digger
Get your ticket to Lodged Out’s Summer Retreat in Upstate New York here. Use the code “theprocess” for 10% off. Find more information on Bobbilee’s custom retreat offerings here and the story of a past attendee’s experiences here. Follow Lodged Out on Instagram @lodgedout and Bobbilee at @bawbelee.
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! ❤