Ep 65: Leila Weefur on using tactile memory to explore the black experience
You can now be a supporting member of The Process, check out our Patreon page. Xo
Leila Weefur (She/They/He) is an artist, writer, and curator who lives and works in Oakland, CA. Through video installation, writing, and lecture-performances, Leila examines the performativity intrinsic to systems of belonging present in the lived experiences of Black bodies. They’re also the Audio/Video, Editor In Chief at Art Practical, and a member of The Black Aesthetic.
Leila’s practice distills parts of a typical filmmaker. They think about the spacial aspects and other conceptual matters of film like text and combines those elements to create installments.
Leila is a recipient of the Hung Liu award, the Murphy & Cadogan award, and the Walter & Elise Haas Creative Work Fund. They’ve worked with local and national institutions including SFMOMA, The Wattis Institute, Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive, and Smack Mellon in Brooklyn, New York.
In this episode, we talk about how Leila explores the black experience in their work, their journey into film, how they sustain their life financially and creatively, why they choose to stay in the Bay Area and what it has to offer to creatives today, and more. Listen above or on iTunes or Spotify.
In this episode, we talk about:
- using tactile memory to explore the black experience in their work
- how she got into photography and film
- how each installation projects feels like she’s working toward a more comprehensive and narrative film
- how she funds her art
- how travel sustains her creatively when feeling tapped out
- realizing that her life was not going to look like the upper-middle-class one she grew up in and adjusting to that
- why she stays in the Bay Area
- words of wisdom for young people moving to the Bay Area
- some of the distinct energetic differences between the Bay Area and LA and NYC
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Leila’s website
- Leila on Instagram
- Noise & Thirst
- Between Beauty & Horror
- Art Practical
- Art Practical’s Living and Working series
- Vanguard Revisited at SF Art Institute
- Chris Fraser
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! <3