Ep 60: Karen Good of Elsewhere Studios on the creative opportunities + challenges in Paonia, CO
This episode is a part of the “Sustainability is a Buzzword” mini-season: a series of conversations about conservation, water, agriculture, creativity, and everyday life that took place in Paonia, CO. It’s the result of an artist-in-residence program at Elsewhere Studios.
Karen Good is the former Executive Director of Elsewhere Studios in Paonia, Colorado. Elsewhere is an eclectic, radical, experimental, whimsical, grass-roots, rural sci-fi, imaginative residency space in Paonia, Colorado that provides nourishment for the creative soul.
She is also a ceramicist and former teacher. Since Karen and I spoke on my last day as a resident, Carolina Porras took over as Executive Director of Elsewhere. But knowing Karen, she’s still very involved in not just the program, but the larger creative ecosystem in Paonia.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Elsewhere Studio’s origins story
- what it took to get the artist residency program going
- how the program is funded
- different options for funding sources
- the appeal of themed residencies
- the inspired at work program
- how Colorado has made the arts an economic driver
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Elsewhere Studios in Paonia, CO
- The Inspired at Work program
- Colorado Creative Industries
- Western Slope Conversation Center
- Solar Energy International
- Citizens for a Healthy Community
- Colorado Farm and Food Alliance
- North Fork Valley Creative Coalition
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! <3