Ep 67: Artist Joshua Rampage on finding your voice through counterpoints
Joshua Rampage is a multi-media artist living in San Francisco, CA currently focused on his painting career. He produces work that aims to encourage inclusivity in an insular world, with a specific ideal to promote and sustain curiosity.
He’s been working on a series called Secrets for over 10 years where he paints people’s secrets within a painting, completely hidden by overlaying brush strokes. He’s also a musician who’s been in a couple of well-known touring bands before shifting his focus to the visual arts.
In this conversation, we talked about having multiple interests as a part of your art practice, but the importance of focusing and finishing work, the value of having levity through life, shifting his focus from music to painting, his time in Australia, his relationship to San Francisco, and more. Listen above or on iTunes or Spotify.
In this episode, we talk about:
- trying multiple mediums to find your voice and how they influence one another
- the importance of counterpoints
- the value of focusing and finishing work
- how he knows a project is finished for him
- his Secrets series
- how the mystery of the meaning of life or what could be next keep us going
- how to nod to what and who came before you without ripping off or copying their work
- the value of having an encouraging friend
- his music career and why he left it
- his experience traveling and making art in Australia
- gaining the confidence to own the title artist
- finding humor in whatever you can
- how purpose is his driver
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! <3