Ep. 02: Jenn Hauser of Bohaus Coffee + Flowers on starting a small business
Jennifer Hauser might be the most passionate person about coffee and plants you’ll ever come across. She’s the co-founder of Bohaus, a cafe and florist in Bedstuy, Brooklyn, NY. She has worked with coffee for over ten years. With a BFA and a past in painting, she’s also incredibly creative. Her self-awareness and sense to follow her intuition is astounding.
Originally from Baltimore, MD, Jenn lived in Denver, CO for a while and has now been in New York for four years. Her and her business partner, Laura opened Bohaus a year ago and have seen great success. They pay themselves a salary and are even saving money, which from what I hear, isn’t easy with a brick and mortar business.
In this episode, we learn about their journey, the challenges they’ve overcome, and what’s in store for their future. We also talk about losing a loved on and harnessing their energy and love in your endeavors. Listen to the full episode and check out photos of Bohaus below! Listen above or on iTunes or Spotify.
In this episode, we cover:
- how she knew it was time to branch out on her own
- starting a business on a (serious) shoestring
- getting past the “oh shit, we have no money” stage
- letting your hobbies and passions evolve with your life
- insights into the small business loan process
- how the loss of her mom impacted her new chapter
- why you shouldn’t let people walk all over you
- why we should be paying attention to timing and signs
- the power of simplicity
- how starting a business will change your priorities
- and of course, autonomous sensory meridian response or ASMR
One thing we discussed off the record that’s worth noting is what a micro-loan really is and how the small business administration loan system is kind of messed up. Jenn said that she feels like the “women owned business loan” is a myth and getting one is much harder than you’d think. And that they want to see revenue and past business success before giving you a small business. That’s where micro loans come in handy but the interest rate is much higher.
Books and resources mentioned:
- Follow Bohaus on Instagram
- Follow Jenn’s ‘Plants in My House’ Instagram account
- Roald Dahl, Matilda
- Charlotte S. Kasle, Women, Sex, and Addiction
- Album: Zapp and Rogers – The Greatest Hits
- Podcast: 2 Dope Queens
Dig this very first episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! ❤