Ep 38: Derek Byrne of ByrneMallory on what it really means to be a lawyer
This is a very special episode with my one and only sibling, my big brother, Derek Byrne. Other than being my brother (I’m being sarcastic, of course), he’s a partner at and co-founder of ByrneMallory Law, a criminal, injury, and family law practice in St. Petersburg, FL. And darn good at what he does, bias aside. He’s also a very talented musician, drawer, photographer, and ridiculously funny.
He shares how he got into law and the process of starting his own firm, his lessons so far, his approach to client relations, the true strategies behind practicing law, and he shares quite a bit about the legal profession that I certainly didn’t know. Listen above or on iTunes or Spotify.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why he pursued a career as an attorney
- Why and how he came to start his own practice
- Common misconceptions about lawyers and why they’re not true
- What it really means (and takes) to be a good/effective lawyer
- Navigating the often complicated lawyer <> client relationship
- How Dolf Lungren is an example of how life is unfair (you just have to listen for this one)
- The value of how the judicial system is designed
- His challenges and wins and starting his own firm
- His process of learning to set goals that are less specific and more aspirational or lifestyle-based
- What to watch out for when building a career as an attorney
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! ❤