Ep 45: Chris Shaw of Ex-Cult on writing your own rules to sustain your creative vision
This episode is brought to you in partnership with the Desert Daze Festival.
Chris Shaw is the frontman and bandleader of punk band Ex-Cult. He’s also the frontman of GØGGS and Richard Rose. He’s been making music as Ex-Cult for over eight years. He also manages PR for other bands and does various odd-jobs, essentially anything that gives him the flexibility to sustain his creative vision.
In this episode, we talk about what it means to be in a punk band today, what has happened to the punk culture, how he has designed a life that works for his dreams, gaining perspective, his songwriting process, tips for working with labels vs. self-releasing music, and more. Listen above or on iTunes or Spotify.
In this episode, we talk about:
- His experience moving from Memphis to LA as a musician
- Managing the logistics of band members on opposite sides of the country
- Finding jobs/income streams that allow for a flexible schedule and autonomy
- Managing his role as primary manager and promoter of Ex-Cult
- How exploitation of punk culture and overuse of the term “punk” has diluted its true meaning and message as a genre, culture, and movement
- How Mark E. Smith and The Fall stayed true to their creative vision and were still successful
- His desire for Ex-Cult to have their own record label one day
- How musicians can self-release their music and have just as strong as an impact as w/ a label
- How waiting to tour Europe created a better experience for everyone in the long-run
- The importance of finding a like-minded label and how they found that with In the Red
- Remembering to reflect and gain perspective on how far you’ve come
- His writing process and how he’s learned to trust himself
- Why self-doubt is a good thing as an artist
- How he uses a live performance of a song as the measure if it’s done
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one!