Ep 01: Adam Hurly of The Prospectives on Stoicism
*Photo by Marco Pedde*
Adam Hurly is the founder and creator of The Prospectives, an Instagram serial and podcast focused largely on characters in the queer community. Launched in 2014, all three seasons have some root in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, NY. Adam has built an incredible community around The Prospectives, helping people feel supported and understood by the work he creates.
He previously worked at Birchbox Man as its content editor and producer but is now a freelance journalist working with travel and men’s lifestyle publications. He is a regular GQ contributor, sharing his grooming and travel expertise. Adam is also a dear friend and old roommate of mine. He’s one of the kindest and most real people I know. I always appreciate our honest conversations about creativity, freelance, relationships, and whether or not pursuing dreams is actually a thing. He’s hilarious to boot.
Originally hailing from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Adam is currently traveling the world. He was in Lisbon, Portugal when we talked and has already made his way to Mexico City. He’s also lived in New York, San Francisco, and Berlin. You can jump straight to his whole story or check out the highlights of what we covered below! Listen above or on iTunes or Spotify.
In this episode we cover:
- how Adam manages his energy
- how he moves forward when he gets stuck
- travel’s impact on productivity, focus, and energy
- how he balances paid and passion work
- how to find work that makes you feel fulfilled…for now (and what that even means)
- how Stoicism has changed his entire outlook on life for the better
- valuing your health and life
- how you can manifest your future if you work hard for it
- lessons from crowdfunding
Books, podcasts, and resources he mentioned:
- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life: Life Is Long if You Know How to Use It
- Larry Kramer, Faggots
- Podcast: The Daily from New York Times
- Album: The Story by Brandi Carlile
- Album: Brandi Carlile covers ft. Adele, Pearl Jam, Dolly Parton, My Morning Jacket’s Jim James and Barack Obama
Dig this very first episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way – please take a few moments to share one! ❤
*Photo by Marco Pedde